About Drum‎ > ‎Townlands‎ > ‎Clonown‎ > ‎

History of Clonown

Stair Chluain Eamhain

All content and photos featured below are courtesy of Rosaleen Fallon's website for Clonown

Brief History

  • 535 A.D: Monastery founded
  • 1089 A.D:Monastery sacked by the O'Briens of Munster
  • 1749: Synge's Census shows a population of about 60.
  • c.1825: Church was built. It is now a community centre.
  • 1823-1828: Tithe Applotment lists were compiled for area. Tithes were payable to the Incorporated Society for the upkeep of schools of the Established Church.
  • 1841-1851: Population dropped from 909 to 585 between these years. This decrease was mainly as a result of evictions following the Famine (1845-1848)
  • 1848-1852: Evictions by William Pidgeon, agent for the landlord, for non payment of rent due to hardship suffered during Famine years. Many families went to North America. Fares to Quebec were paid for by the Landlord, Lady Jane Johnstone of Belfast.
  • 1859: First National School built.
  • 1885: Branch of Irish National League (formerly Irish Land League) established.
  • c.1890: Clonown GAA club was founded.
  • 1919-1921: War of Independence. Some local involvement.
  • 1954: Severe flooding of the Shannon. Many houses were flooded. Afterwards families were relocated by the Land Commisssion.
  • 1967: Present church opened.

Industries of the Past

Find out more about linen making, potato growing and brick making - a cottage industry in Clonown.

Common Family Names in Clonown

Heads of households listed in 1901 Census.

The Irish Language in Clonown

A look at the decline of Irish as the spoken language of the area and a list of Irish words still in common use.

Brick making

Site of a brick kiln

Brick mould

Local bricks in walls of Cornafulla School built in 1839